Preparing the midweek meal can be a stressful affair. It needs to be nutritious, frugal, quick, and easy. Meal plans can go a long way to easing the stress of getting dinner on the table but it also helps to have a few stand-by midweek meals you can call on in times of needs. These zucchini fritters are something I turn to when my plans fall apart and I need something stat! It isn’t an exact recipe but it always seems to come together and taste delicious.
Zucchini grated (however many zucchini you can spare, I usually use two or so)
1 onion diced/grated
Self-raising flour (I never measure, I just shake in enough to coat the zucchini and make a batter)
Milk (enough to make a thick batter)
Salt & Pepper
- Grate the zucchini and dice the onion. As I’m usually making this when I’m pressed for time I simply use the grating disc on the food processor for both.
- Squeeze excess liquid out of the zucchini
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and adjust amount of milk and flour until you get a nice thick batter consistency
- Heat your skillet and add suitable oil such as coconut
- Ladle spoonfuls of batter into skillet and fry until golden
Serve with homemade yoghurt and whatever else you have on hand e.g. tomato salad, bacon, ham, pickles, sliced cheese. The egg and yoghurt both have a good amount of protein to keep everyone full so adding meat isn’t really necessary. I’ve also added grated carrot or potato when I didn’t have enough zucchini, it’s a very forgiving recipe and nice to change things up every now and then.
What are your favourite stand-by meals? The ones you can make with your eyes closed while helping your toddler sing Old MacDonald?